Information & Advice

The Department of Chemical Engineering strives to ensure all students have easy access to information pertaining to their studies. We have compiled a list of resources to help you quickly and easily find the information you need. If these links don't provide you with the details you're looking for, please contact the Undergraduate Program Assistant for further information. See also Frequently Asked Questions

Check out the CHEE/ENCH Undergraduate wiki for information about:

  • Academic Advising and Support
  • Registration
  • Degree Audits
  • Department Policies
  • Exams
  • Key Fobs
  • CHEE/ENCH Student Club Executive

For all undergraduate program questions, please send an email to:

Liann Joanette

Important Web Links
  • Calendar
  • Registration Guide
  • Curriculums
  • Complimentary Studies (COMP) Lists
  • Technical Elective (TECH) Lists
  • Course Descriptions
  • Sessional Dates
  • Tuition and Fees
  • Academic Guide
  • Engineering Academic Regulations
  • Awards/Scholarships

Chemical Engineering and Engineering Chemistry students may be required to pay ancillary fees up to $150 for course related learning materials, safety equipment and field trips.

Of these fees the following are compulsory:

Item/CourseFeeApplicable to...
I-Class Tokens $12
  • FOBs are purchased at the Campus Bookstore. To activate, email with the number on the back of the FOB.
  • Cost of new or replacement tokens. All year 2, 3 & 4 Chemical Engineering students. Token allows 24 hour access to the building and Computer Cluster.
CHEE 470 Field Trip $55 + Green Patch safety footwear Students registered in CHEE 470 when and if a field trip is planned

NOTE: The Chemical Engineering Department subsidizes field transportation and computer cluster costs with a variety of funding sources.

Chemical Engineering Careers

A world without jet fuel, gasoline, natural gas, paper, pharmaceuticals, fertilizers, plastics, synthetic fibers, composites, semiconductors, magnetic disks, optical storage devices, paints, films, detergents and many other chemicals is almost unimaginable. These products are needed in large quantities and must be manufactured using safe efficient environmentally-friendly and economical processes. Chemical Engineers are trained in the research, design and operation of such processes. Chemical Engineering, therefore, play a central role in our modern world and Chemical Engineers are in demand. Looking for help finding information on possible careers in Chemical Engineering. Check out these useful links.

Be an Entrepreneur - Be a Chemical Engineer

Although most Chemical Engineers work for companies, industrial organizations and government agencies, there are also excellent opportunities for a Chemical Engineer to be self-employed or start a business. Many niche markets exist both in Canada and abroad for Chemical Engineers with specialized expertise. Chemical Engineers can work as consultants, advisers, researchers and, increasingly, as suppliers of unique services and specialty products. Using modern Information systems, design tools and equipment, individual Chemical Engineers can now accomplish what used to require large groups of engineers and support staff. Chemical Engineering, therefore, provides excellent opportunities for entrepreneurs.

Where Do Chemical Engineers Work Today?

The majority of Chemical Engineers work in businesses known collectively as the Chemical Process Industries (CPI). The CPI Include the Chemical, Oil and Gas, Pulp and Paper, Rubber and Plastics, Food and Beverage, Textile, Metals and Agricultural Chemical industries.

Many Chemical Engineers also work in supplier, consulting and government agencies related to the CPI, engaging in equipment manufacture, plant design, consulting, analytical services and standards development. Since environmental problems are usually complex and require a thorough knowledge of the social sciences, physics, mathematics and chemistry for their resolution, Chemical Engineers often hold lead positions in industrial firms and government agencies concerned with environmental protection.

Where Will Chemical Engineers Work in the Future?

Although the CPI will continue to provide numerous and challenging jobs, in the future, many Chemical Engineers will work in technologies which are only just emerging. Among such technologies are biomedicine, genetic engineering, biotechnology and specialty materials.

Furthermore, Chemical Engineers will work increasingly in companies that have not traditionally hired Chemical Engineers such as the automobile, aviation medical, construction and manufacturing industries. Chemical Engineers are particularly well suited to work in small, specialized companies since they are broadly educated, highly versatile and know how to find cost-effective and safe solutions using a wide variety of technologies.

Registration Information

The Applied Science Registration Guide is a step-by-step guide to help you with registration.

Where can I find the curriculum for my program?

Visit the Curriculum & Courses Page

Where can I find the list of Complementary Studies Electives and Technical Electives?

Visit the Curriculum & Courses Page

NOTE: While there are some core courses that are also listed on the Arts & Science site, you should use those listed on the Applied Science page. Applied Science and Arts & Science students have taken different courses which will influence the prerequisites needed. The only time you should refer to the Arts & Science course descriptions is for COMP courses.

What is the last day to add or drop a course?

See the Sessional Dates for current information.

How do I gain access to the computer cluster?

I-Class tokens give CHEE and ENCH students access to the computer cluster and Dupuis Hall after hours. Tokens can be purchased for $12.00 from Megan McKever in Dupuis Hall, Room 201. Replacement tokens cost $12.00. Tokens will remain active for the academic year (September - May), and will reactivate again in September. (NOTE: Access is a privilege - please respect the facilities.)

Can I take a spring/summer course?

Yes, you can take spring/summer courses. Often complementary studies courses are available at Queen's or at a university near your home during these terms.

NOTE: Courses taken during the spring/summer terms will count towards your degree in terms of AUs only and will not be included in your cumulative average or sessional average.

Spring/summer courses offered at Queen's University are coordinated by the Continuing and Distance Studies Department through the Faculty of Arts and Science. Please visit their web site for a list of courses available (including both on-campus and correspondence, tuition costs, and how to apply at

To take a spring/summer course at another university you will need to complete a Substitution Application Form which you can get from the Undergraduate Program Assistant. When you have completed the form, return it to the Undergraduate Program Assistant who will then obtain the Undergraduate Chair's signature. You will be emailed once the Undergraduate Chair has signed so that you can pick up the form and submit it to the Faculty Office (along with a cheque for $60.00 to cover administrative costs).

Don't Forget About the Web!

On the Queen's University Website you can find general information about Queen's as well as information about specific faculties. Try out the quick search or people find functions.

NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) Summer 2019

Visit the CHEE/ENCH Undergraduate wiki for details at

Centennial International Exchange Endowment Fund 2019

Visit the CHEE/ENCH Undergraduate wiki for details at